Shaver's Creek is an environmental and raptor center that is owned by Penn State. They offer a program called "Kid's Corner". Today was the last class of the year and the first one that Isaac and I happened to make it to. I wasn't thrilled to drive over the mountain in steady rain and the fog at the top got a little scary, but we made it!
Their program this Fall was on the colors of nature and for this last class the focus was the whole rainbow. We sang a few rainbow songs, played a couple of color themed games, and made a few rainbow pictures. We looked at rainbows made by prisms and bubbles. The staff even prepared a snack of fresh fruit (all different colors) and vanilla yogurt. The kids were supposed to make a rainbow with their fruit and use the yogurt for clouds. Isaac wanted none of it. So we played with the stuff in the gift shop instead.
I think Isaac's favorite part was the discovery room. Here, they house a few residents, turtles, toads, snakes, and fish. They also have some interactive exhibits about snow, bugs, trees, etc. Isaac loved playing with these marbles they had out and looking around the touch table. He felt the velvet on a deer's antlers, looked through a vacated turtle shell, held a snake skin, and petted a few furs. Before we left, we ventured out into the rain to visit a few of the raptors. We saw the Bald Eagles, Turkey Vultures, a hawk, and an owl. Izzy had a fun time and we will try to go back with the whole family in the Spring.
 |
| Isaac doing rainbow coloring using three crayons rubber-banded together. |
 |
| We got wet on our to and from the bathroom which is outside and up the path. So we decided that Isaac needed "hedgehog hair". |
 |
| Looking at all the cool marbles through a neat, magnifying glass stool thing. |
 |
| I see you! |
 |
| The staff put on a silly little puppet show. The kids really enjoyed it. That's Izzy in the orange. |
 |
| Making another rainbow craft by gluing little colored squares all over the paper. |
 |
| Looking at the toads. Ribbit! Ribbit! |
 |
It was hard to get a good shot here. It was raining and Isaac wouldn't go any closer. But, here he is with the Bald Eagles.
|
Wow--I'm bummed we never made it out there. Looks like a really cool place!
ReplyDeleteIt is really neat. Makes me wonder why I haven't taken the kids more. The last time we went was when I was pregnant with Isaac.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of the Geauga County Nature Preserve we visited with Sarah and Aidan. It was a lot of fun! I really need to find out if we have one here.
ReplyDelete