Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Oh Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel!

Doesn't everyone remember learning that song in elementary music class?  Well, Lorelai recently heard it at school and so, just for fun, I bought the kids some dreidels at Target.  They've been spinning them around for the past week or so and tonight we decided to play for real.  We used chocolate chips and had a lot fun!  So here are the rules via Wikipedia:

 Each player begins with an equal number of game pieces (usually 10–15). The game pieces can be any object, such as chocolate gelt, pennies, or raisins.
  • At the beginning of each round, every participant puts one game piece into the center "pot". In addition, every time the pot is empty and sometimes if it has one game piece left, every player puts one in the pot.
  • Each player spins the dreidel once during their turn. Depending on which player side is facing up when it stops spinning, they give or take game pieces from the pot:
    • a) If נ (nun) is facing up, the player does nothing.
    • b) If ג (gimel) is facing up, the player gets everything in the pot.
    • c) If ה (hei) is facing up, the player gets half of the pieces in the pot. (If there is an odd number of pieces in the pot, the player takes the half the pot rounded up to the nearest whole number)
    • d) If ש (shin) or פ (pei) is facing up, the player adds a game piece to the pot.
  • If the player is out of pieces, they are either "out" or may ask another player for a "loan".[4]
 Bryan ended up winning our little game but everyone received gold "Bah Humbug" coins for a prize anyway.  The coins were chocolate-peanut butter and had the faces of the A Christmas Carol characters on them.  Yummy. 





On a side note:  Izzy and I went to the library yesterday, he is REALLY into their puppets! He had several out all at once and had quite a fun time playing with them.  Different ones were allowed to be friends and some were only "a little bit of a friend" to others.  It was determined by size.  :)  Anyway, what I loved most were the names he gave them.  My two favorites were Gridge the hedgehog and Vimperman the Rat.  He is so funny!

2 comments:

  1. I have never known the rules of that game. I don't remember playing it when I was younger. Interesting! It's so great that you do game night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks. I had to look the rule up online. I only ever sang the song when I was a kid. Lore learned it in school too, so we decided to play.

    ReplyDelete