Thursday, December 15, 2011

Rory's Story Cubes

Isaac and I played Rory's Story Cubes this morning.  It's a game that Lorelai received for her birthday.  It's very simple and lot's of fun!  There are 9 dice with 6 pictures on each one.  You simply roll them all and tell a story using all the pictures that are face up.  It's really neat to hear what the kids come up with and they don't always use the picture literally.  Isaac rolled a "?" this morning and used that to symbolize a mystery.  I was very impressed!  I'm not as creative as I thought I would be though. 

I had tried to do a similar activity with the kids before.  You take a piece of paper and section it into 9 spaces.  Then, cut out pictures from old magazines and paste them into the spaces.  You tell a story by connecting the pictures together in a row, up, down, diagonal, etc.  When I started cutting up old Highlights, Lorelai flipped out and got very upset!  The project was ceased immediately.  I had to tape or glue the pictures back!  She seems to like the cubes though.

Isaac's roll- He used the star to mean nighttime and the plane just as a means of getting somewhere, not the objects themselves.  So smart.
Mom!  I said no pictures! 



1 comment: